Skills in demand for current and future Engineers looking for jobs in Electric Vehicle and Automotive Electronics domains
The Electric Vehicle and Automotive electronics land-scape is transforming, there is great potential for disruptive changes in this domain, resulting in huge demand for skilled and industry-ready engineers.
Automotive electronics is the underlying platform for all operations that transform new technologies into reality, because of technological changes, new areas such as, Connected Vehicles, Shared Transportation, Autonomous driving and Advanced Driver Assistance System, and so on will be commonly in the news in the next 5 years.
Growth of Automotive Electronics
The automotive industry over the years has transformed from being core mechanical engineering specific to electronic subsystems. In order to enable highly sophisticated and Smart vehicles the industry uses hundreds of ICs and complex software programs. Hence Electronics, Electrical, Computer Science, Information Science engineering all have an opportunity to benefit from this.
As legislations become more stringent and enhanced demands by consumers for better comfort, connectivity, efficiency, safety, and clean technologies - Electronics and software programming will continue to play a big role over new and existing functions in vehicles.
What is Automotive Electronics
Automotive Electronics is a multidisciplinary field involving Electronics, Mechanical, Electrical, Networking, and Computing technologies. Primarily it is the application of electronics and programming in vehicle engineering.
RV Automotive Electronics centre a unit of RV-SKILLS is focused on building engineering talent to design, develop and test vehicle electronics systems and provide skilled and employable engineers for jobs in Electric Vehicle and Automotive Electronics. The programs by the center are designed mainly to enhance the skills of the engineers by making them work on real-life projects and learning through experimentation in a blended learning mode, this ensures effective learning and transforming an aspiring engineer into a skilled Automotive Electronics or Electric Vehicle Design Engineer.
What skills do you need to have, to become an Automotive Engineer/ Electric Vehicle Engineer?
A variety of competencies are required by the different automotive industry companies such as the OEMs and supporting automotive industries, depending on their product portfolio. The following skills are needed to be an industry-ready automotive engineer:
- Cross-domain Engineering Skills for e.g. little knowledge of Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronics to gain competency in designing multi-disciplinary technologies
- Subject Matter Knowledge in a broad spectrum of technologies like:
- 1. Electric Powertrain Controls and their features,
- 2. Matlab, Simulink,
- 3. Vehicle Mechanics,
- 4. Vehicle Architecture,
- 5. Electric Motor Design,
- 6. Battery Engineering and Battery Management Systems,
- 7. Vehicle & System Integration,
- 8. Testing, Validation, and Certification process used in the Electric Vehicle
- 9. Sensing & actuation technology,
- 10. Signal/Image processing & Data fusion,
- 11. Embedded C programming and ECU knowledge,
- 12. CAN and related protocol knowledge
- 13. Control system development,
- 14. Model-based design
- Embedded product development including various data networking protocols deployed in and outside the vehicle
- Understand prototyping including hardware design, software development, EMC compliance, and functional testing
- Analytical, problem-solving and Creative skills
- Communication skills (ability to explain technical information and requirements)
What is the future of transportation technology?
The future of transportation technology is exciting and unthinkable in today's terms
- It will be Smarter, safer & with unimaginable comforts in a vehicle.
- It will have a Rapid penetration of Electric Vehicle technology
- Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) for safer driving will be the norm
- The rise in connectivity, sophistication, and shared mobility services will be apparent
- Multi-modal/Intelligent transportation systems will be in use
- The rise in autonomous driving will be a standard feature in the vehicles
Who can be an Electric Vehicle, Automotive Electronics Engineer?
Anyone with a passion to shape the future and with an engineering degree in any of the following domain: Electronics, Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Automobile engineering, Computer science, or Mechatronics can be an Electric Vehicle Design Engineer or Automotive Electronics Engineer.
Further, there are many specialisations such as Motor Design, Vehicle ECU design, Powertrain Design, Programming, Test and Validation jobs as one progresses in this domain.
The current market situation and Job Opportunities
- More than 500 companies in India are directly or indirectly engaged in design, development, manufacturing & testing activities.
- 90% of all innovations in vehicles come from electronics and software programming using C, Python, AUTOZAR etc.
- Upcoming global and country regulations will lead to increased use of software and electronics content in vehicles.
- Increased demand for Clean & Green technologies has pushed electric vehicles to the forefront. This, in turn, has increased the requirement for skilled AE engineers
There are excellent job opportunities across the entire spectrum of automotive industries including:
Vehicle OEM, Tier1 / 2 Suppliers, Component/board developers, Test labs, and product developers.
Each segment has a unique skill requirement. RV Automotive Electronics Design Center a unit of RV-SKILLS has programs specifically designed to meet the requirements of the automotive industry, providing the candidate a competitive edge. They will be job-ready for the following automotive industries as an example:
- Vehicle Manufacturers like Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra, Volvo, Eicher, GM, Mercedes Benz, Bajaj, TVS, Hyundai, Renault Nissan, Toyota, and many more.
- Off-highway Equipment Manufacturers like BEML, John Deere, Caterpillar, Komatsu, and more.
- Tier-1 suppliers like Bosch, Delphi, Visteon, Pricol, Brakes India, Lucas TVS, Continental, Harman, ZF, WABCO
- Tier-2 Suppliers like Motherson Sumi, Hella, Lear, Minda, SEG automotive, EM Electronix, LCS controls Senlogic, UCAL, Woodward, Nigasavi, Process Care.
- Component/board/Module developers like Infineon, NXP, Panasonic, Rohm semiconductors, TI, Roots, OEN, Intel, Microchip, Mitsubishi, NS, TE connectivity.
- Development tool developers like Mathworks, Vector, Dassault, Green hills, LDRA, Mentor Graphics, Saber, Altair.
- Test Equipment/labs like ARAI, Sameer, Wipro, ETDC, AVL, Dyna fusion, EM test, ETAS, Keysight, GARC, HCL technologies, ICAT, Qmax, NI, OPAL-RT, UL, TUV.
- Product Developers like KPIT, Deepti electronics, FEV, CMC, Tata Technologies, Tata Elxsi, TCS, Intel, HCL, WIPRO, Mahindra Technology, Intellipredikt, L&T infotech, Mindtree, Schaeffler, Infosys, Sun mobility.
Get the RV-Skills Advantage
RV-AE Center for Automotive Electronics, a unit of RV-SKILLS is managed by industry experts. Their main focus of this department is to enhance the make available employable and skilled engineers and promote research in AE, EV, VLSI and AI and emerging technologies. We are the pioneers in experiential and skill-based learning. The Center offers programs that enable candidates to apply for multiple job roles. RV-AE course content is proven and tested to equip students with the right skills to help them secure a good job and a rewarding career. The center offers training programs for both students and working professionals, who wish to pursue a career in Automotive Electronics or up-skill for new career opportunities.
RV-SKILLS also offers programs in emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and VLSI under the RV-AI and RV-VLSI brands.
At RV-AE you will learn in a corporate environment under the guidance of industry experts and experience the corporate culture.
Give your Career a great start, connect with RV-SKILLS for more details.